What is underwriting?
Underwriting is on-air acknowledgment of financial support from supporting businesses. Underwriting on WMSE lets listeners know who you are and what you do, and builds brand awareness among our listening audience. An underwriting announcement can be considered more meaningful than commercial advertising because it shows our listeners that you support the independent radio station that they love. We will work with you to develop an underwriting strategy that is efficient in targeting your preferred demographic. An underwriting campaign can be customized to include as many or as few announcements as desired.
Because WMSE is a non-profit organization, your underwriting dollars are tax-deductible! Additionally, you will be considered a good neighbor by our loyal listeners, while helping WMSE continue broadcasting the unique and diverse programming that isn’t available anywhere else.
Why should my business sponsor programming on WMSE?
- WMSE has been an integral part of Milwaukee for over 35 years. Listeners understand our commitment to the community
and our intense support of local music and artists.
- WMSE continues to be an award winning station, always staying true to our mission of providing programming that cannot be heard anywhere else on the local dial.
- Our intelligent and loyal listeners have buying power; they choose to spend their money supporting WMSE and the businesses that support us.
- With our wide variety of musical programming, we can ensure that your message successfully reaches your ideal targeted audience.
- Your message will be heard worldwide by our expanding audience that listens to WMSE streaming over the internet.
- The WMSE program audio archive is one of the most popular features on our website. Your sponsorship announcement will continue to be heard by listeners long after its initial airing.
Who will hear my underwriting announcement?
- 24,000 loyal listeners tune in each week
- We reach a demographic of 25 – 54 year olds across southeastern Wisconsin
- A high concentration of educated and affluent community members with an interest in cutting-edge music, art, and entertainment
- Listeners who access WMSE’s program archive will hear your announcement on past shows that have aired
What can my underwriting message say?
Underwriting announcements may contain:
- Sponsor’s name
- Location of business
- Phone number and/or Internet address
- Value-neutral description of business, products and services
How can I begin underwriting on WMSE?
To set up an appointment, or to get more information, call WMSE’s Underwriting Director, Nickie Rouleau at 414-277-7246 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Sponsorship and Opportunities
What WMSE events are available to sponsors?
WMSE holds four large-scale community events each year. The purpose of these events tie in very closely with our mission of bringing a diverse group of people together for the good, positive cause of raising funds for WMSE Radio!
What are some benefits included with event sponsorship?
Depending on the event and the level at which your company becomes a sponsor, there are many different forms of exposure you will receive based on your sponsorship, some of which may include:
- On-air promotional exposure in event announcements
- Logo placement in printed materials, including posters, handbills, and advertisements in local weekly newspapers
- Featured on wmse.org with a link to your website
- A promotional booth at the event
- Banner opportunities at the event
How can my company become an event sponsor?
To sponsor a WMSE event, or for more information, contact WMSE’s Development Director, Ryan Aschebrook at 414-277-4514 or email at: email@example.com.
How else can my company get involved?
WMSE is always seeking donations of goods and services for both events. Items are then used for silent auction packages and raffles. By donating an item or certificate your business becomes visible to WMSE’s desirable demographic by highlighting your company and your product.
Twice a year, WMSE holds on-air membership drives to raise funds in order to sustain and to grow as a non-profit broadcaster. We have found that over the years, it’s immensely powerful and meaningful when a business makes a contribution in the form of a financial challenge to WMSE’s listeners. Corporate challenges are used as an incentive for new and existing members to make donation during a certain program or program hour, which drastically increases the success of the drive.
Corporate challenges are viewed by WMSE listeners (and staff!) as a hero for the entire length of the drive, which lasts up to eight consecutive days. With your Corporate challenge contribution and announcement, you will receive continuous personalized on-air mentions every hour on the day of your challenge and several times during the show in which your challenge is launched. For more information on how your business can make and impact while receiving tremendous visibility, contact WMSE’s Development Director, Ryan Aschebrook at 414-277-4514 or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
WMSE Underwriting Testimonials
“We support WMSE because they get it like nobody else in town gets it. What is ‘it?’ Community. Art. Milwaukee. If WMSE wasn’t here, I’d move.”
-David Ravel, Director for Alverno Presents
“Maxie’s underwriting of WMSE gives us instant membership into an educated, forward thinking, civic minded group of people. Our association with WMSE sends a message that we care about unbiased, informative and entertaining radio, but more importantly; that we care about Milwaukee.”
– Dan Sidner, Maxie’s Southern Comfort